Monday, December 31, 2012

Let's talk about Drive

Drive.

When you talk to people who actually watched the movie (which is a very small number) you will get a very binary review. Seriously, look it up on IMDB or any other review amalgamation site. People will either say it sucks all sorts of terrible things, or it should have swept the Oscars.

Because of this, I can't really recomend it. In fact, I can only tell you a cautionary tale. After watching this movie with one of my room mates, I loved it. We made so many jokes about this movie, like how awkward Ryan Gosling was as the film's serial-killer/getaway driver antagonist. We were captured in its Tarantino-esque charm. (Okay, maybe Tarantino is a bad comparison because it isn't intentionally funny. But the only other thing that even remotely resembles it that I've seen is Pulp Fiction.)

However, when I watched it with my dad, everything wrong with it became painfully obvious. The pacing is terrible. The music is atrocious. And then, a few things that were great about the movie, like Ryan Gosling's acting and chemistry with the love interest (played by Carey Mulligan) turned from gold to dog doo on your shoe.

So the moral of this story is be careful who you see this movie with. Just... make sure it's with someone who's irreverent and funny and likes movies with weirdness and violence.

No comments:

Post a Comment