Monday, September 10, 2012

9/11

So, here it is. The week of September 11th. A moment of me shutting up in respect of all the innocents and American Sevicepeople that died in the attack and our subsequent wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

[Silence.]

Now, back to our regularly scheduled "me talking about nothing!" When I was writing my weekly submission for the week, I didn't realize the important anniversary that was this week. Yeah, that's right. Plus, the piece I've written for the week is better suited for Halloween. Anyway, enough of my inconvenient first world problems, there's important stuff to talk about.

As I may have already stated on this blog, I was sent home early a certain beautiful Tuesday, eleven years and three hundred sixty four days ago. There may or may not have been a speech, but I don't remember. I gave mom a note, and (hopefully) went outside to play, happy to be out of school early. Apparently, it was a beautiful day. This is a paraphrase of the note:

We took the students aside and told them what happened. But don't worry: We didn't use the words "towers" or "planes."

Needless to say, I don't exactly remember what happened that day. However, I do know that this single event has changed my view of the world. As an author, I have to study human emotions and motivations. Therefore, I must ask myself, and everyone else, "Why? What could make  them want to fly airplanes into some of our greatest monuments and institutions, killing thousands upon thousands?" I suppose you can post your 9/11 stories below, but I think its way past time some average person thought about the motivations of the terrorists.

It'll be a beautiful day tomorrow. Just like it was twelve years ago. Go out and enjoy it, and remember those who can't. Or ignore it and let it be just another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment